Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Can Knit

I can't knit.  I don't know how.  It seems that all my friends--every single one--know how to knit.  Amazing!

Dmitri has been steadily insisting out of the blue for the past two months or so that I know how to knit.  I finally decided he's right.  I just don't use yarn yet.

I communicate with people and groups. I weave and blend them together.  The sweater I'm knitting is called White Hawk Ecovillage. I don't have a pattern for it, but like my whiz knitter friend Jenna, I have instincts about what to do next.

I love this type of knitting.  I do it naturally and willingly.  I'd never dream of clocking my hours and checking them off as work done.  I just want to do it, so I do.  Plain and simple.  I notice that we all have our natural interests here, and we all fall into them easily and willingly.

Joe loves to walk the land, make maps, participate in site planning, beautify and make the land the more welcoming place to be.  I know to go straight to him when I have land thoughts to take advantage of his perspective.

Alicia loves to make beautiful images that convey complex messages in one second.  I'm so glad she knows how to do that!

I love how everything is optional, how it's possible to live here without any heavy obligation, saying yes when we mean yes and no when we mean no.  For example, you are not likely to find me doing much physical labor.  But as soon as I say that, I become interested in a sandbox project that involves digging.  Our interests are always evolving, and our participation follows.

1 comment:

  1. I only learned to knit last year. And I have to say it has enhanced my life:)

    ReplyDelete